Split Letter Monogram Lined Zipper Bag
Make a personal statement with this useful zippered bag featuring a large Split Letter Monogram. Big and bold, the unique design style has space to add a smaller 3-letter monogram, first name, nickname, or surname to complete the look. Fully lined with French seams, this bag looks great inside and out!
- OESD's Split Letter Monograms #12665 embroidery collection
- OESD Fuse and Fleece - 2 pieces, 12" x 10"; this stabilizer stays in the project, adding structure and body with a slight softness to the outer bag fabric
- OESD Ultra Clean and Tear Stabilizer, 2 pieces, 10" x 14" each (or large enough to hoop)
- 12" - 14" zipper with polyester coils
- 22" of decorative ribbon, 5/8" wide, cut into two 11" pieces
- Isacord embroidery thread - 1 spool of a main color and 1 spool of an accent color
- 505 Temporary Spray Adhesive
- Zipper foot
- Open embroidery presser foot
- All purpose presser foot
- Fat quarter for Bag Fabric: 2 pieces quilting cotton, 12" x 10" each and two 2" squares for the zipper tabs
- Fat quarter for Lining Fabric: 2 pieces quilting cotton, 12" x 10" each
- Fat quarter or 1/3 yard for Center Panel: Natural linen, 10" x 14" (large enough to fit a hoop that accommodates designs 6.5" x 6.5")
• Press the Fuse and Fleece to the wrong side of the front and back of the bag following the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Optional: Channel-quilt the fused fabric using an all-purpose presser foot with a seam guide set for stitching parallel lines 1" apart horizontally across the two pieces of fabric.
Front Linen Panel
• Use temporary spray adhesive to adhere two layers of OESD Ultra Clean & Tear stabilizer to the wrong side of the linen.
• Hoop the linen/stabilizer; attach the hoop to the machine.
• Open the appropriate monogram design in the embroidery machine. Using the lettering of the machine, add a 3-letter monogram in the center of the split letter monogram, between the two horizontal lines of satin stitching.
• Stitch the split monogram with the main color thread and the added lettering in the accent color.
• Remove the fabric from the hoop and press. Trim to 5½" x 10", centering the design from top to bottom and side to side.
• Position the monogrammed panel in center of the front of the bag with the upper edges even; baste or pin in place.
• Place the decorative ribbon over the side raw edges of the panel. Attach the ribbon to the bag by edgestitching along the long edges using an open embroidery foot and adjusting the needle position to stitch on the edge of the ribbon.
• Press one 2" square in half and press to make a center crease.
• Fold each side raw edge in to the center and press. Repeat with the second tab.
• Measure the zipper to 11"; sew a bartack over the coils at this point; trim the zipper tape beyond this point.
• Slide one end of the zipper into one of the folded tabs, approximately in the center.
• Topstitch the tab onto the end of zipper, sewing about 1/8" from the edge.
• Trim the sides of the tab even with the zipper tape.
• Repeat with the remaining tab at the opposite end of the zipper.
Inserting the Zipper
• Place one of the outer fabric pieces right side up and then place the zipper face down along the top edge, centering it from side to side. The fabric should extend ½" at each end of the zipper.
• Position one lining piece right side down over the zipper, aligning the fabric raw edges; pin.
• Using a zipper foot, sew 1/4" from the upper edge, stitching through all layers, including the zipper tape. This is an exposed zipper application so the stitching does not have to be right next to the coils.
• Turn the fabrics to the right side and press.
• From the right side of the bag fabric, topstitch 1/8" from the fabric edge.
• Repeat with the remaining bag and lining fabrics on the opposite zipper tape.
• Turn the fabrics wrong side out and align the lining pieces together and the bag pieces together.
• Stitch the lower seam of the lining and the lower seam of the bag; press seams open.
• Turn the bag to the right side, unzip the zipper and tuck the lining down into the bag. NOTE: The side seams are still unsewn.
Side French Seams
• With the bag unzipped, pin the side seams (all lining and bag layers) together on each side of the bag.
• Sew down the sides of the bag using a 1/8" allowance.
• Turn the bag inside out and stitch the side seams using a scant 1/4" seam allowance. This totally encloses all raw edges.
•Turn the bag right side out and press.
• Optional: Tie a length of decorative ribbon to the end of the zipper pull. Fold 8" of ribbon in half and stitch the edges together. Once it is tied to the zipper pull, trim it as desired.
This material is © OESD, LLC and may not be reproduced or published without permission.